Knocked Out, also known as Knock Out, KO, or KO'd, is a common phrase and state/condition used in video games. In Dead or Alive, a character is KO'd when they lose all their "energy" in their health bar, or if they have the least amount of health when the timer runs out. If the fighter has been KO'd, it means that they lose the round. Sometimes after KO, a countdown starts and can lead to Game Over if the player does not restart the match again.
It should be noted that in Dead or Alive, being KO'd does not mean that the character has been killed or been literally knocked out; they are still visibly breathing, and are able to talk. They even move a little depending on how they land on the ground, such as propping themselves on their elbows and shaking their heads as if dizzy. However, although not dead, the characters still seem to be in a lot of pain when KO'd, as they are breathing heavily, struggle to talk, and make no sudden movements when on the ground.
While in the majority of DOA games an opponent can continue to be hit after they are KO'd (especially if the KO attack did not knock them over), in Dead or Alive 5 certain actions, such as a Power Blow KO, fixes the fighters in slow motion. This prevents any further attacks from taking place. After KO attacks have no additional consequence, merely serving as a visual flourish. Since Dead or Alive 4, fighters now react realistically to attackes when knocked out. They grab their stomachs in pain, rub their legs and shake their heads, and even when struck violently on the back, they roll over in great agony. If you wait a while, they'll actually stop moving all together, but this is most noticeable in Dead or Alive 5. If a fighter is still hit while trying to fall to the ground, they will sometimes remain standing from rapid jabs.
|PlayStation and ++ Characters|
|Arcade and Sega Saturn Locations|
|PlayStation and ++ Locations|
|Dead or Alive Music|
|Dead or Alive (Arcade Version)|
|Dead or Alive (PlayStation Version)|
AYA - Blade of "RYU" ~Mr. Tom mix~ - Concentration - Dead or Alive - Fastbreak - Gonna Make You Gasp - Heated Heartbeat
|Costumes - Fighter Quotes - Merchandise - Promotional Artwork and Wallpapers|
Actions when on ground(Since Dead or Alive 4)Edit
- Character is lying face up; they lie on their side, briefly shaking their heads as if dizzy. If no further attacks are inflicted, they will suddenly pass out, lying completely still.
- Character is lying on their stomach; they use their hands to prop their upper body slightly on the side. They will shake their heads dizzily, and then slowly slump to the ground, as if asleep.
- If character is hit with an especially hard hitting high hit, or with an otherwise very painful hit, they will begin squirming backwards in unbelievable pain, while shaking their heads. They will eventually settle down, while turning to their side.
- If a character is hit with certain low attacks or hard-hitting blows that hit their legs, they will turn to the side, grasping the injured area, before slowing passing out on the ground.
- If a character is hit with a strong punch and lands on their stomach, they will slowly slide forward while grabbing their stomachs in pain, before slowly slumping to the ground.