Like what you see?
MIST, sometimes styled as M.I.S.T. is a weapon research and development organization formed and headed by Victor Donovan. It was first introduced in the 2012 title Dead or Alive 5 during the events of the fifth Dead or Alive World Combat Championship. However, according to Helena Douglas, it was possible that it existed without a formal name within DOATEC while Donovan was still a member of the latter.
After Helena put a stop to Project Alpha within DOATEC, MIST continued the project and improved it, with the goal to mass produce bio-engineered super-soldiers, possibly for the militarizing of the world's dominant nations. However, after the events of the fifth Dead or Alive Tournament and the destruction of their facility, the current status of MIST is now unclear.
It's unknown what MIST as a name means or stands for, but it is possible that it was named after Kasumi, the person who was used as a starting point for Project Alpha; the name Kasumi means "mist," a light fog.
According to Helena, it was possible that MIST had been existing within DOATEC without an official name for years. A likely case would be that MIST was originally a sub-section to DOATEC that Donovan created in order to produce his bio-weapon projects, including Projects Alpha, Epsilon, and Omega.
Although Epsilon and Omega lend to fruitless results, Alpha was leading to a success. From capturing Kasumi after she won the first Dead or Alive Tournament, they used her DNA to produce many clones possessing her physical appearance and fighting abilities; these clones included Kasumi α. By the time of the fourth tournament, they had started to alter the DNA to create clones with improved skills, which led to the creation of Alpha-152, an inhuman weapon baring a sole desire to destroy all in its way. It was considered perfect and the ultimate product of the project.
Before farther development could take place, the Mugen Tenshin Ninja Clan attacked the Tritower Heliport where Project Alpha was being held and that, and Helena destroying the building to be rid of Donovan and Project Alpha, led to the end of the project under DOATEC and Donovan was forced out of company.
Nevertheless, Donovan wanted to continue with Project Alpha, which led to the formation of MIST, with its main research facility hidden within an off-shore oil platform owned by DIG, a sub-devision of DOATEC. It's likely that they were able to get use of DIG through Rig, as he had been working as the foreman there for years.
Phase Four of Project Alpha and the Destruction of DIGEdit
By the time of the fifth tournament, MIST had produced many more clones and had improved the fighting data within them. From there, they were planning to begin Phase Four: the development and mass production of the perfect solider.
Helena had become aware of the strange comings-and-goings within DIG and found out about Donovan's plans. Although she was unable to do anything herself due to her reputation, she brought in Hayate, Ayane, and Ryu Hayabusa to break into the facility and put a stop to it. Whilst in there, Hayate was captured to restart Project Epsilon, so Hayabusa called for Kasumi to help.
While they tried to awake him, Alpha-152 started to form and, as they fought it off, it was picking up the forms and abilities of Ayane, Hayate, and Hayabusa as well. In the end, the clone was destroyed and the facility fell.
After the DestructionEdit
The current state of MIST is currently unclear. While it seems that its main production was destroyed, Rig confirmed to Donovan that he had located samples (possible relating to the four shinobi) and that everything was going exactly as planned.
Aside from the above, MIST had apparently been involved in cybernetics technology (due to reviving Raidou), and also time travel technology (since they were responsible for dragging Naotora Ii to the present day from Japan's Sengoku period).
Known Products and ProductionsEdit
- Project Alpha - Planned to enter Phase 4 before the facility was destroyed and after Rig got enough data for his father. Its current status is active.
- Victor Donovan - Leader and creator of MIST.
- Phase-4 - The final product of project alpha and the field agent of MIST.
- Christie - Donovan's personal bodyguard and head of MIST security.
- Rig - Second in command of MIST, Rig is working and answering to his father, Donovan on an unknown task.
- Raidou - Was resurrected by Donovan as a cyborg, now Raidou is a secret agent of MIST.
- Miyako - Although head of DOATEC Japan, Miyako also seems to be involved with MIST in some way, although the reasons behind it are unknown.
- Bayman - Formerly an employee to Donovan, it was possible that Bayman was a member of MIST while it was still within DOATEC, until Donovan turned against him.
- Lisa Hamilton - The head research scientist for Project Alpha.
- DIG - A off-shore oil platform owned by DOATEC. It was destroyed during the events of the fifth tournament.