- "Let the red rose of blood bloom forth."
- —Marie Rose in Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate
- See also: Marie Rose's costumes
Marie Rose is the shortest female fighter in the Dead or Alive series, standing at only 147 cm (4' 10"), with a small frame. She has blonde, bottom-length hair that's held up in twin-pigtails(Her hair is possibly much longer due to the fact that she seems to wrap up the base of her twintails) with black ribbons and has dark blue eyes. She is able to wear her hair down in Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 and a few outfits in Last Round, but like Kasumi her hair is drastically shorter; it comes down to about mid back level and is somewhat thin.
She appears very childlike, and looks younger than her actual age. Her initial design is inspired by Gothic Lolita Fashion, displayed by her default costume which is a modified strapless maid dress, with arm sleeves. Her other alternate outfits are quite modest, with a lot of Gothic Lolita implements; platform heeled shoes, black nail polish, Gothic arm accessories, and frequent use of the colors black and white are recurring elements in her additional outfits. Her ribbons are also always black, with the choice of pointed or tied ribbons, or a black and white bonnet.
While her revealing outfits are sexualized significantly (like the other female fighters' costumes), her outfits are mostly skirts, and aside from her bloomers in her signature Gothic Lolita dress, her underwear are basically the same as the other girls. With the exception of her Hot Summer swimwear, the swimsuits she gains in Dead or Alive 5 Last Round are generally one-piece suits, including a sukumizu.
Marie Rose possesses the smallest bust out of all the female characters in the series, a direct contrast to her friend and rival Honoka who possesses the largest bust, which was even the subject of a pun in their Japanese tag team intro.
From what little has been shown, she seems to be a very energetic, cheerful, gentle, teenage girl, and spoiled which given her youth, fits well but she is shown to be fearless and gutsy unlike many youngsters around her years.
She acts very childish, sometimes she acts like a drama queen, and doesn't seem to take losing lightly; she appears to be crying on the ground like a little girl when she loses a match, but if watched long enough, she lifts her face out of her hands smiling briefly, before resuming her apparent fake crying. Judging by this, she seems quite aware of her cute appearance, and shows it through her win poses and taunts. Ironically, despite her often acting childish, Xtreme Venus Vacation reveals that she hates being compared to a child or treated like one. She also has little problem with wearing some revealing outfits, although she does have her limits, as during a Cover Girl photo op, even she was ashamed at having to show a significant amount of herself to Helena when she alongside Kasumi had to do a very suggestive "prayer pose" near the god statue.
As seen in her console release trailer, she states "Bigger isn't always better, you know", showing that she doesn't care too much about her lack of physical body development in comparison to the other females. Despite this, however, she is implied to be jealous of Honoka for her large assets. In addition, in Xtreme Venus Vacation, she has a tendency to refer to herself in the third person.
Marie is French in origin, and is the french version of "Mary", whose meaning and origin are unclear. Rose is the name of a flower which comes in a variety of colors, each color having a different meaning.
Marie Rose seems to be respectful to Helena, referring to her as "my lady" in their tag team alliance when Marie Rose calls her. In Dead or Alive 5 Last Round, their friendly relationship is made quite clear, as they are both seen giving a curtsy to their opponents in their tag introduction, and upon winning, proceeds to beam up at Helena where Helena will mention that it's almost time for coffee. It is hinted in her character title that she is one of Helena's servants. She also has a massive amount of respect for Helena, which she makes clear to Misaki. In Warriors All Stars, she shows that she loves Helena and she already misses her and shows some concern that Helena might get so worried due to her being gone for too long. She also sometimes mentions her when she is seen interacting with someone in the spring like Ayane, Kasumi, and Hayabusa or something in the spring like the massage chair, foods, and other items.
While their exact relationship is yet to be revealed, in Dead or Alive 5 Last Round the trailer shows her and Eliot performing a tag intro together. The only common interest that they have so far is a shared fondness for milk. Apparently, unknown to Eliot, Marie Rose's interest in milk was because of some common reason. Eliot and Marie Rose seem to have a good relation.
It isn't entirely clear yet but Last Round newcomer Honoka appears to share a connection with Marie Rose. The two appear as designated partners in Honoka's trailer and have a unique victory animation together where Honoka proceeded to mimic Marie Rose's trademark pose.
On a darker note, Marie Rose is possibly jealous of Honoka's assets, which is the reason why Marie has a keen interest in milk. Honoka's pun about asset jokes is only available in Japanese version of Last Round. The jealousy may not actually be true, since Marie Rose likely just took Honoka's pun the wrong way, while the western translation where she simply asks for a practice round makes it seem like jealousy. In All-Star Warriors, during their level 3 interaction, Marie Rose also insinuates that Honoka's back pain was the result of her large breasts, although she denies saying anything when Honoka asked what she meant by that.
Interestingly, Honoka's the only character whom Marie Rose does not attempt to talk back to when referred to as a child.
It's not clear what her and Nyotengu's views are on each other, but they do share a tag throw. Perhaps due to her experience on watching horror movies, real life and movie does not matters to her anyway, implied that she did believes super natural does exist in real life as well.
She largely got along well with Misaki, even referring to her formally as "Lady Misaki" during their first on-screen meeting. However, she was made to quit calling Misaki that by Helena due to their being on vacation and it disturbing Misaki. While largely getting along well with Misaki, she also tended to get annoyed by Misaki speaking to her in a manner that indicated that she viewed Marie Rose as a child, repeatedly telling Misaki not to treat her as such, and eventually requesting the Owner to spend the food via Misaki's paycheck during the Venus Festival in what is heavily implied to be revenge for Misaki constantly treating her like a child.
She has once interacted with Momiji during a New Year's festival, where she acted as a model for New Year's Cards. Other than one brief time during a photography session (which is implied to be due to heightened irritation at the heaviness of her kimono), she didn't mind too much Momiji referring to her in a manner befitting a child. She even once asked for advice regarding how to undergo the New Year's festivities at a Shinto shrine.
In Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation, Kasumi and Marie Rose seemed to get along fairly well (it's implied that the reason they knew each other was through Helena), and worked with Marie Rose for a photoshoot relating to New Years cards. During another photoshoot, this time to act as Cover Girls, Kasumi also admitted that it was "reassuring" that Marie Rose was present when the Owner called them to act as Cover Girls. The shinobi also largely agreed to a commemorative photo in front of the god statue despite her personal misgivings to the Cover Girl photoshoot (especially her having to wear a particularly skimpy outfit for it) because Marie Rose thought it was okay to do so.
Marie Rose is shown to be very respectful to the Owner in a manner comparable to or possibly even higher than her respect for Helena. It is heavily implied in her dialogue that she has a bit of a crush on the owner.
- See also: Marie Rose's command lists
Marie Rose is a relatively easy character to use, and has a defensive and technical fighting style. She is a hold specialist on par with Leifang, with expert holds and several special moves to go along with her regular holds that enable her to counter any type of strike. Her "Rondo" special move parries high and mid-punches, similar to Leifang's Unshu and can be entered from various combos. Likewise, her "Minuet" special move evades low strikes. She can also do a forward roll ("Flower Wheel") from which she can deliver strikes or offensive holds, or evade high attacks.
She has very good combo potential, juggling the opponent with relative ease, even heavier set characters like Bass. Unfortunately, she does little damage, and her fairly weak throws leave much to be desired. She can also be juggled higher and longer because of her tiny stature. She can start very long combos, but she isn't very fast, and due to her somewhat slow kicks and single strikes, a faster opponent can quickly intercept her blows and interrupt her. She's also a perfect target to perform holds on, as her slower moves are easily predictable, examples being some of low mix ups and her longer more telegraphed attacks.
The following are Marie Rose's official stats as listed in the games.
|Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate|
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round
Dead or Alive seriesEdit
- Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Arcade (playable, 2013)
- Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate (playable DLC, 2014)
- Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (playable, 2015)
- Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (playable, 2016)
- Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation (playable, 2017)
Non-Dead or Alive appearancesEdit
Marie Rose is a playable character in Koei's hack-and-slash title, Warriors All-Stars, representing the Dead or Alive series alongside Ayane, Honoka, and Kasumi, although the first former being designate as a Ninja Gaiden representive for reasons aside to accompany Ryu Hayabusa.
In an alternate world that relies on a miraculous spring to sustain itself, the King who could control the spring's powers suddenly perished, leaving the world in turmoil. The Queen told her daughter, Tamaki, to summon otherworldly heroes to save their land, but the attempted summoning malfunctioned and left them scattered in different areas. Eventually, other members of this royal family are deemed eligible for the throne, dividing all the heroes into three warring factions.
In the game, Marie Rose, along with Kasumi and Honoka, is a member of Setsuna's force.
Senran Kagura: Peach Beach SplashEdit
Marie Rose appeared in Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash as one of three paid DLC characters released on March 30th, 2017 for the game and will be one of the the representing Dead or Alive along with Honoka and Ayane (the latter formerly appeared in Senran Kagura: Estival Versus).
King of Fighters XIVEdit
Although Marie Rose herself does not appear in King of Fighters itself, she does appear alongside Kula Diamond in some cross-series promotional wallpapers.
Marie Rose's trademark outfit and her hairstyles and accessories also were used in Phantasy Star Online 2 as part of a collaboration between that game and Dead or Alive 5 Last Round.
The following are the music themes used for Marie Rose throughout the series.
|"Bloody Nocturne"||Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Arcade|
Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate (default theme)
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (default theme)
Her current voice actors are Mai Aizawa in the Japanese version and Christine Marie Cabanos in the English version. Owing to the character's demeanor, she is voiced in a very childlike manner, although it should be noted that Cabanos's voicework has her sounding slightly deeper in tone.
- See: Marie Rose gallery
- Marie Rose design seem pretty close to many anime characters such as Ekaterina and Irina, but she bares a strong similar resemblance the most to Rachel Alucard from the BlazBlue series and Ninon from KOF series.
- Although her fighting style is stated to be Systema, her animations look similar to Emilie "Lili" De Rochefort's from Tekken, which is based on self-taught and Gymnastics.
- Marie Rose's birthday, June 6, is the same day as the National Day of Sweden.
- She is technically older than Misaki, who is born on July 7, which may explain her constant irritation at Misaki interacting with her as if she were a child (referring to her with the honorific "Chan", meaning the addressed subject is younger than the speaker).
- In the Japanese version, unlike other female characters, Marie Rose prefers to refer to herself with her name "Marie (マリー)" and rarely uses "Watashi (私)" which is commonly used by children or younger girls to make it sounds cute.
- In the Japanese version of Dead or Alive Xtreme 3, Marie Rose's favorite color is stated as "紺色" (lit. "navy blue color" or "dark blue color"). However, the English version of the game, it was translated as "deep blue".
- In her tag battle intro with Honoka, Marie Rose reacts with a slightly irritated expression when the latter requests a practice round. This is because in the Japanese version, Honoka requested to borrow Marie Rose's chest, acting as a pun on both their radically different bust sizes and a common Japanese saying for requesting a sparring partner, derived from Sumo Wrestling where it is believed a wrestler's power is derived from their chest due to the heart being located there. This tidbit was left out in localization due to the pun being untranslatable in the West.
- In Marie Rose's Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate concepts, the lower left concepts suggest that they were reused for Honoka.
- Marie Rose was voted #1 in the Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 poll. It is due to this that Marie Rose (and Honoka in #2) is featured on the cover for the PS4 and Vita release. They also have special goods in each Collector's Edition for the PS4 and Vita releases respectively.
- Marie Rose is the first character in the series to be released as DLC. Ironically, Yosuke Hayashi had earlier mentioned during an interview at E3 that he had no plans on including DLC characters due to thinking it was unfair.
- In Warriors All-Stars, it is stated that she is the one who made her trademark maid dress.
- Whether this is canon to the Dead or Alive series is yet to be revealed.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/doax3/chara_01.html
- ↑ http://www.dualshockers.com/heroines-dead-alive-5-last-round-king-fighters-xiv-join-lovely-wallpapers/
- ↑ 
|Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation|
|Playable||Kasumi - Momiji - Hitomi - Helena Douglas - Marie Rose - Honoka - Nyotengu - Kokoro - Ayane|
|PC Exclusive||Misaki - Luna - Tamaki|
|Games||Beach Volleyball - Blackjack - Butt Battle - Poker - Pool Hopping - Tug-of-War - Beach Flags - Rock Climbing - Roulette|
|Other terms||Gift Giving - Pictorial Scenes - Pole Dancing - Stats - Swimsuits - Virtual Pictorial - Zack Dollars - Girl Mode - Owner Mode|
|New Zack Island|
Casino - Hotel - Niki Beach - Pool and Poolside - Sports Shop - Tranquil Beach - Zack of All Trades
|Achievements - Costumes - Downloadable Content – Item Collection Datasheet - Merchandise – Promotional Artwork and Wallpapers - Transcripts (Venus Vacation only)|