We have to grow stronger...
This article/section is in need of improvement. If you have a good knowledge of the subject, feel free to add your information to the article. Once improvements have been made, this notice may be removed.
- "Night has lifted, dawn has come."
- —Rachel in Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate
Cursed by her demonic fiend heritage, Rachel's goal in life is to hunt down and destroy all demons in existence. She met Ryu Hayabusa while on a crusade to slay her own twin sister, whose fiend blood had corrupted her human side. With Hayabusa's aid, she was able to accomplish her heart breaking goal and the two have been close friends ever since.
- See also: Rachel's costumes
Rachel is a tall statuesque woman with pale skin, platinum blonde hair, crystal blue eyes and a curvaceous and buxom figure. She has a number of different styles in Ninja Gaiden, but she primarily wears her hair pulled in a loose updo style ponytail, with some hair wrapped around the remaining hair that falls loosely, her hair is center parted and she has sidelocks that frame her face.
In Last Round, she is able to wear her waist length hair loose, and in her football outfit given to her in Ultimate as DLC, she can wear a short layered haircut but only in her secondary hair option that has her wear a football helmet. She is usually seen wearing a skin-tight black leather combat suit cut in ways that reveal her skin.
She wears alot of revealing outfits in-game, including a revealing nurse dress, short-shorts and a crop top that exposes her tattoos, and a more modest blue business jacket and skirt.
Rachel is a battle hardened warrior who feels the desire to hunt down and kill all demons. Though she feels the need to put on a tough face when dealing with people, she is a kind and caring soul whose only wish is to help people. Her cursed lineage has caused her to become a Fiend Hunter, but she truly fights to protect others.
Rachel (רחל) is Hebrew in origin, and means "ewe", which is a term used to describe an adult female sheep.
Hayabusa and Rachel's relationship was initially complicated due to Rachel's coldness towards Hayabusa, while Hayabusa didn't like Rachel when she was testing him during the Dark Dragon Blade Incident in Ninja Gaiden. Despite their differences and ideals, the two have come to mutual terms, forming a working relationship as well as a close friendship, and slay the evil Fiends together whenever they meet, with Rachel slowly beginning to trust Hayabusa over time because of him rescuing her from enemy capture multiple times while she was on a crusade to slay her own twin sister, who had become evil due to the fiend blood in her veins. Her respect and admiration for Hayabusa can be seen in Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate when she says he's like having the strength of a hundred others.
Rachel seems to share a working partnership with Ayane since they first met, though they dont share a win tag pose Rachel calls Ayane's name during the fight.
Rachel may seem to have a mutual respect for Momiji and she forms working partnerships with her very often as she helps her out on her journey.
- See also: Rachel's command lists
Rachel's fighting style is an improved version of SPARTAN-458's: she utilizes brawler style attacks, but Rachel doesn't seem to use any formal martial art or style. She has a high damage output, and her throws do very good damage. She can also throw the opponent while they're in the air, causing them to bounce and allowing her to perform longer air combos. Her combos are damaging, but they are short, and relatively easy to hold and counter; her speed is also below average, making her easy to predict, as she lacks many moves, and her combo starters lack many follow up attacks that can confuse the opponents.Still, a lot of her moves are safe on block. She is also a heavy weight character, allowing less juggle options to be performed on her. She also has a special sidestep that can follow up with a launcher or a tracking low kick, and she also has a light ground attack that can force the opponent up while they are on the ground that gives Rachel a slight frame advantage.
Her holds can help her win in extremely tense matches, and since most of them involve hitting the opponent away, they do downright horrific damage when her opponent is near a wall. She is recommended for all skill levels, due to her simplistic combos, high damage output and wide range of safe moves. She overall is a fairly balanced character, with her speed and lack of move mix-ups being her only major disadvantages.
Dead or Alive SeriesEdit
- Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate (playable, 2013)
- Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Arcade (playable, 2013)
- Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (playable, 2015)
Non-Dead or Alive appearancesEdit
Musou Orochi 2: SpecialEdit
Rachel, along with Seimei Abe, appear in the Japan only Musou Orochi 2 Special, the PSP port of Warriors Orochi 3. She later appeared in the world wide WiiU port of the game, Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, with series newcomer Momiji and Shennong. Her special stage is New York merged with Jiang Dong.
Non-Dead or Alive appearancesEdit
Ninja Gaiden ClansEdit
Rachel appears as a collectable card in Ninja Gaiden Clans.
In popular cultureEdit
Rachel appears in the fan-made CG series Dead Fantasy created by Monty Oum and her main opponent is Rinoa Heartilly from Final Fantasy VIII.
Rachel debuts in Dead Fantasy II as she decides to aid the Dead or Alive girls as they are being overpowered due to the effects of Tifa's Haste. When Rinoa and Kairi arrive to join Yuna, Rikku and Tifa, she along with Kasumi, Ayane and Hitomi faces off against the group. The fight ends when Rinoa creates a portal to transport herself and Rachel to another place that leads on to their fight in Dead Fantasy VII.
In one of the teasers for Dead Fantasy VII Rachel is shown chained up, similar to in Ninja Gaiden, when she was going to be sacrificed to her sister, Alma. With Monty Oum's untimely death, the future of the series is unknown.
The following are the music themes used for Rachel throughout the series.
|"El Diablo ~DOA5 Ultimate mix~"||Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate (default theme)|
Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Arcade
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (default theme)
- See: Rachel gallery
- Rachel's fighting stance is similar to Sarah Bryant's stance. The two also share similar physical appearances as well.
- Since SPARTAN-458 couldn't be included in Dead or Alive 5, Rachel was given a similar fighting style.
- Even though she was added to Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate, it is unknown if she participated in the tournament or not. However, her official Last Round website bio implies that she did indeed participate as it mentioned that she loves DOA fights since it allows her to utilize her innate fighting abilities for means other than fiend-hunting.
- Her light ground attack involves her grinding her heel into the back, crotch, stomach, or leg of the opponent; Strangely when it connects sometimes, it does damage despite her heel not physically touching the victim's body.
- Rachel's 2013 Halloween costume is a reference to her twin sister Alma.
- Prior to her formal debut in Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate, a woman in a red dress was seen interacting with Maria who bore a similar appearance to Rachel in Christie's flashback in Dead or Alive 4.
- The woman can also be seen in Christie's ending for the same game. Itagaki himself confirmed that she was indeed Rachel, and admitted that he added her presence as a joke.
- Rachel's 2014 Halloween costume was originally intended to be for Kasumi.
- One of Rachel's win quotes (Night has lifted, dawn has come) originated from Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.
- ↑ EventHubs - "Director: Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate is a reflection of the feedback we received"
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=988441244529060&set=p.988441244529060&type=1&theater